CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Bridge to north extension of Graveyard of Cathedral of Ss Peter and Paul

Street Name and Number: The Cathedral Green,
Listed Building Reference: 81257
Grade: II
Date Listed: 30/06/2003
Date Amended: 30/06/2003
Co-ordinates: 315584,178171
Locality: Llandaff
Community: Llandaff
Council: Cardiff
National Park: No

Location
Joining the Cathedral Churchyard to the North Churchyard over the old millstream.

History
Built c1880 to give access to the new north churchyard which was first used in March 1883. It was designed by John Prichard to cross the mill-stream, now filled in, which was the head race for Llandaff Mill, itself demolished in c1932 to build Western Avenue, and the Tucking Mill, which still partly survives in Pontcanna Fields (qv Riverside Community).

Interior


Exterior
Built of neat ashlar and in a medieval gothic style with a low pointed arch. The arch and the lower courses of the stonework are now almost wholly obscured by the filling in of the mill-stream which followed the opening of Western Avenue in 1932. The top voussoirs can still be seen, as can the parapet walls with trefoil headed niches in the apex. Moulded stone coping, The internal faces of the parapets are rubble, the roadway is pitched stone.

Reason for Listing
Included as a fine late C19 bridge designed by John Prichard and having group value with the Cathedral.

References
The Llandaff Society, Llandaff (The Archive Photographs Series), Tempus Publishing, p 58.