CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Ffinan

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 5554
Grade: II
Date Listed: 30/01/1968
Date Amended: 11/06/2002
Co-ordinates: 249545,375508
Locality: Llanffinan
Community: Llanddyfnan
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
In a rural location, set back from the SE side of a country road leading NE off the B5420 to Talwrn; c2.5km E of the outskirts of Llangefni.

History
There is a church recorded in the Norwich taxation of 1254, though the exact site is uncertain; the present church was erected in 1841, the architect John Welch.

Interior
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey but said to contain: A C12 gritstone font, a circular bowl chamfered at the base to fit into a modern square pedestal. The surface decorated with crude interlacing strap ornament. C18 memorials to: Iohn Llowyd of Hirdre Faig d1705 and Hugh, son of Richard Hugh of Ty Hen d1764.

Exterior
Romanesque style church of 3 bays, to a rectangular plan with continuous nave and chancel. Built of coursed roughly dressed masonry with freestone dressings including continuous sill band, plinth and clasping buttresses; slate roof with tiled ridge, E gable cross finial and W gable bellcote. All the openings are round headed, a single window to each bay and a tripartite chancel window. The doorway at the W gable has smaller flanking windows and a gallery window in the gable apex over a stone slab which bears the date 1841.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a small rural church, a good essay in a simple Romanesque revival style.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 62; Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Historic Churches Project, 1995, p 78; RCAHM Inventory, 1937, pp 78-9.