CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Iestyn

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 5545
Grade: II*
Date Listed: 30/01/1968
Date Amended: 12/03/2003
Co-ordinates: 258499,379594
Locality: Llaniestyn
Community: Llanddona
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
In an isolated rural location, set back from a country lane leading E out of the village of Llanddona.

History
Medieval church, recorded in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, the extent of the original church (of traditional local type with structurally undivided nave and chancel) retained in the fabric of nave. The chancel was extended, probably in C14; E window is early C15 type and S doorway is c1500. The S transept was probably added in C16. The S porch was rebuilt but Medieval in origin and contains one C15 truss. Restored in 1865 by D Roberts of Beaumaris, when it was re-roofed and the N window inserted. Further restoration in 1954 when the C12 W doorway was discovered.

Interior
The nave and chancel are structurally undivided, with an exposed roof of 4 roof bays which included 2 pegged and collared trusses, probably C15. The easternmost truss is a late C19 chamfered, collared truss, the S blade of which rests on a massive hewn beam across the entrance to the S transept S transept has 2 pegged, collared trusses. The sanctuary is raised by one step and has a repaired C17 chamfered rail on shaped balusters, with square newel posts surmounted by globe finials. There is a C18 slate tablet on the N wall of the chancel which records benefactions to the poor of the parish. Reset on the W wall of the S transept is a C14 effigy stone of St. Iestyn; carved in low relief with the figure of a bearded man dressed as a hermit with cloak fastened by a broach and a hood. In his R hand is a staff and in his left he holds a scroll with inscription. The background is diapered with 4-leaved flowers. An inscription in debased Lombardic lettering reads: H[I]C : JACET : SANGTUS : YESTINVS : CVI : /WEN[LLIA]N [F : MADO] C : ET : GRVFFVT : AP : GWILYM : O[BT]VLIT : IN OB/LACOEM : ISTAM : IMAGIN/NE : P : SALVTE : ANIMARVM : S. The C 12 font is at the W end of the nave, an ovoid bowl, the outer surface carved and divided into 3 bands of which the middle one consists of a row of chevrons with truncated ends; the lower band is a series of crude round-headed arches; the upper band contains an equal armed cross with expanded ends, a straight sided spiral, 2 circles, an interlaced cross and a panel of chequerwork. To the E of the S doorway is a plain tapered hexagonal water stoup.

Exterior
Simple rural church comprising structurally undivided nave and chancel with S transept and porch. Built of roughly coursed rubble masonry, the W gable wall rendered. Slate roof with stone copings surmounted by cross gable finials; W gable bellcote. The entry to the church is through the S porch which has a C15 truss as barge boards bearing floriate decoration in relief. The S doorway is of c1500 date and has a round head within a square frame; moulded jambs and sinkings in the spandrels. There is a blocked Norman doorway in the W gable. The C15 E window is of 3 cinquefoil headed lights in a pointed arched frame with hoodmould; the N window of the nave is a C19 rectangular leaded light. The S transept has a restored E window, a rectangular leaded light, with reset C14 dressings; the S window is of 3 stepped trefoil headed lights in a restored frame with C16 rear arch.

Reason for Listing
Listed as good Medieval rural church which retains many original and early features including a fine C14 effigy memorial.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 65; Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Historic Churches Project, 1997, pp 104-5; Holme G G, Three Local Monumental Effigies - St. Iestyn; St. Pabo; Eva Wife of Anwel, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1923, pp 38-45; Hughes H, Early Christian Decorative Art in Anglesey, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1923, pp 250-1; Salter M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, 1992, p 23; RCAHM Inventory, 1937, p 107.