CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Cristiolus

Street Name and Number: A5(T),
Listed Building Reference: 5530
Grade: II*
Date Listed: 30/01/1968
Date Amended: 23/12/1998
Co-ordinates: 245002,373568
Locality: Llangristiolus
Community: Llangristiolus
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
In an elevated position overlooking, and set back from, the SE side of the A5(T).

History
Probably C12, reconstructed in the first half of C13 when the chancel was enlarged and the present chancel arch inserted. The chancel contains some early C16 windows, others were inserted when the nave and chancel were restored and partly rebuilt by H. Kennedy, architect of Bangor, in 1852.

Interior
The entrance leads into the W end of the nave, the roof of 7-bays has exposed rafters and chamfered A-frame trusses; above the tie beam the posts and frame are cusped, below, arched braces and wall posts are carried on shaped corbels. The C13 chancel arch is 2-centred with 3 orders on the E side and 2 orders on the W; shafts with roll-moulded edges, responds with three rolls at each edge, roll-moulded capitals and bases. The chancel roof is of 5-bays with exposed rafters and chamfered, arch-braced collared trusses, braces continued down to form wall posts carried on plain corbels. The fittings are C19 and of pitch pine; simple bench pews and choir stalls with chamfered edges and scrolled ends. The pulpit is octagonal, raised on 8 turned legs, each face has paired recessed panels with cusped tracery at the head and set under a moulded rail. The reading desk has 3 facing panels with open cusped tracery at the head over closed, paired quatrefoils, and moulded rail and plinth. To the W end of the church is an enclosed vestry formed by recessed panelling with cusped tracery at the head, and the sanctuary rail is moulded over widely spaced upright, and diagonally set cusped supports. The sanctuary walls have plain wooden panelling to the lower part, raised behind the altar table as a reredos, with simple decoration to the heads of the raised panels. At the W end of the church is a C12 circular gritstone font decorated with 6 arcaded panels; 3 contain variations of 4-cord plaitwork, one with horizontal and vertical bands with intersecting rings, one with circular and elongated links and the last with two irregular hexagonal figures interlaced. There is a grey on black marble 1st World War memorial on the N wall of the nave, a white on black marble memorial to Reverend John Roberts, d.1845 (by Seddon and McBride, Liverpool) on the S wall of the chancel, and a brass memorial (with latin inscription) to William Morgan, LL.B., Chancellor of Bangor, d.1713, Dulcibella his wife, d.1724 and Richard their son on the W chancel wall (E of the chancel arch).

Exterior
Medieval church now predominantly Decorated style but with fine Perpendicular chancel window. Nave of 3-bays with W gable bellcote and SW gabled porch, slightly elevated and wider 2-bay chancel to E. Built of rubble masonry, predominantly gritstone, with freestone dressings; slate roof with stone copings, ashlar bellcote and simple iron crosses at gable apexes of chancel and porch. The bays of both nave and chancel are articulated by offset buttresses, and similar buttresses flank the W gable bellcote and the E chancel window. The chancel contains early C16 windows; the E perpendicular window is of 5 ogee-headed lights with vertical uncusped tracery in a 4-centred head with a moulded label, the E window in the N wall with a pair of rounded multifoiled lights in a square frame with moulded label (a C19 copy in the opposing position in the S wall). The remaining windows are C19; the chancel has pointed-arched windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights and cusped tracery with hoodmoulds, the nave has single, trefoil-headed lights in square frames with hoodmoulds at the W end, the remaining windows are a mix of pointed-arched and square framed windows of paired lights, some with hoodmoulds. The bellcote at the W gable is of ashlar masonry, slightly advanced and corbelled, with cusped tracery to the heads of the openings and a helm roof. The porch has a hollow-moulded, round-headed outer doorway, the entrance to the church through a boarded door with ornate hinges in a chamfered, pointed-arched frame.

Reason for Listing
Included as a medieval church, unusual for Anglesey in being substantially of C12/13 date, including the original chancel arch. Later attention includes the fine C16 rebuilding of the chancel, including the large Perpendicular chancel window.

References
Walker T G, Dau Blwyf, Llangristiolus - Cerrigceinwen, 1944; Clarke M L, 'Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century', Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p64; Holme G G, 'The Chancel Arch, Llangristiolus Church, Anglesey', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1932, pp 202-6; Hughes H H, 'Early Christian Decorative Art in Anglesey', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1921, pp 95-9; RCAHM Inventory, 1937, p 95.