CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Dona

Street Name and Number: Allt-Bron-Phillip,
Listed Building Reference: 5474
Grade: II
Date Listed: 30/01/1968
Date Amended: 12/03/2003
Co-ordinates: 257445,380824
Locality: Llanddona
Community: Llanddona
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
Set to the N of the junction of Allt-Bron-Phillip and Lon Goch with the coastal road at the far end of Red Wharf Bay.

History
Late C19 church, completely rebuilt in 1873 by the architect and rector Peter Jones. Probably built on Medieval foundations, a church is mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. Has a reset C15 S doorway and there is a reset stone bearing the date [1]566, upside down, above the E window.

Interior
The church has an exposed roof of arch braced collared trusses with king posts, down to wall posts on shaped corbels. The chancel is raised by a step and the entrance has facial bosses set in the wall to each side; there is another decorative boss set in the E wall of the S transept. The sanctuary is raised by a further step and has a moulded rail on an open arcade of pointed arches with pierced trefoils in the spandrels. There is a pointed headed recess in the N wall. The E window is a C20 window of 3 lights with tracery above; the central light shows Christ, with the sea in the background, the flanking windows show St. Curig (L) and St. Dona (R) with depictions of a lion, dove, lamb and eagle set in the tracery above. The window is in memory of Neil Preston d1962. The fittings are late C19, the gritstone octagonal font is of uncertain date and is sited at the W end of the nave, to W of the pointed arched doorway to the N vestry.

Exterior
Rural church in cruciform plan with S porch and N vestry. Built of snecked rubble masonry with freestone dressings, continuous plinth course and raking angle buttresses. Slate roof with W gable bellcote, weathered cross finial at E gable and a small squat stack at the N gable of the N vestry. The E window has 3 ogee headed lights in a pointed arched frame, the hoodmould has facial stops and there is a reset datestone (set upside down) set in the gable apex above. Other windows have plain narrow pointed single or paired lights. The outer porch doorway is a pointed arch with chamfered jambs, at the head of the arch is a facial stop with flanking wings. The inner C15 doorway has a rounded head in a square frame, with casement moulded jambs and spandrels decorated with, to L, a bird, dog and human face, to R a winged cherub. The N vestry has a narrow pointed arched doorway in the W wall.

Reason for Listing
Included as a simple late C19 essay in Gothic revival, its simple character appropriate to its scale and site.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 59; Glynne S R, Notes on the Older Churches in the Four Welsh Dioceses, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1900, p 92; Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Historic Churches Project, 1997, pp 39-40; Powell H, Carved Corbels, Brackets and Label Stops in Anglesey Churches, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1944, pp 37-8; Salter M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, 1992, p 15; RCAHM Inventory, 1937, p 45.