CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Caian

Street Name and Number: B5111,
Listed Building Reference: 5403
Grade: II*
Date Listed: 12/05/1970
Date Amended: 11/06/2002
Co-ordinates: 245130,379706
Locality: Tregaian
Community: Llanddyfnan
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
Within a rectangular churchyard at the W side of the B5111 in the centre of the small hamlet of Tregaian.

History
Medieval rural church, probably late C14 with E window of that date; late C15 S doorway. The roof is of late C16 or early C17 and nave has C17 windows and re-set C17 panelling in pulpit; W bellcote has 1717 bell.

Interior
The church has an exposed 7-bay roof of repaired C16 or C17 arch-braced collared trusses and paired purlins with angle braces. The chancel is raised by a single step and has a moulded rail on shaped balusters; the panelled reredos raised under a moulded rail. The fittings are C19, the pews with lambs tongue chamfered ends; the pulpit has deeply recessed reset C17 panelling. The C12 font is a circular tub-shaped bowl with central band of irregular chevrons. The E window bears a depiction of Christ crowning a knight and has the legend: Well done thy good and faithful servant / Take unto you the whole armour of God. Flanking the window are marble memorial tablets: to the L to Thomas Edward John Lloyd CBDL, PTG, JP d1937 and his wife Rosamund Anna d1948; to R to Robert Lloyd Esq TG d1846, Margaret his daughter d1858. On the N wall of the nave is a slate tablet to Thomas Maximillian d.1745, as well as other late C19 and early C20 memorials to members of the Lloyd family of Plas Tregayan. Further C20 Lloyd memorials are on the S wall of the nave along with a bronze memorial to John Prydherch d1724 and his wife Anne d1752.

Exterior
Simple rural church built of rubble masonry; slate roof has W gable bellcote with pointed opening. The nave and chancel are structurally undivided; late C14 E window is of one ogee light with simple tracery in a pointed arch frame with moulded label. The main entrance is C15 S doorway with casement moulded jambs and a 2-centred head in a square frame with a moulded label; spandrels with trefoils; S wall has 2 C17 windows, paired square-headed lights with chamfered jambs. Opposing N doorway is of uncertain date with late C19 blocking; single C17 N window of 2 rectangular lights with hollow chamfered jambs and moulded label. Small W window is C17 or C18, a square headed light with chamfered jambs.

Reason for Listing
Listed as an excellent late Medieval rural church which retains a strong simple character in the retention of many early features and its original plan, with structurally undivided nave and chancel.

References
Hughes H, Early Christian Decorative Art in Anglesey, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1923, pp 59-60; Slater M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, 1992, p 25; RCAHM Inventory, 1937, p 149.