CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Mary (disused)

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 5402
Grade: II
Date Listed: 12/05/1970
Date Amended: 16/03/2001
Co-ordinates: 239900,385569
Locality: Rhodogeidio
Community: Llannerch-y-Medd
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
In an isolated rural location, along a footpath across the fields from Meinir farm. The chapel of ease is set within a rectangular churchyard c1.25km W of the Church of St Ceidio.

History
Simple C15 chapel of ease to Church of St Ceidio; retains late C15 E window. Much restored in mid C19. In ruinous condition on inspection.

Interior
Late Medieval roof of 4-bays with exposed arch-braced trusses (that to W end a modern replacement). The interior of the church has been completely gutted but retains 4 mid C19 slate memorial tablets along the S wall and 2 on the N wall.

Exterior
Late Medieval rural church with continuous nave and chancel. Built of roughly squared rubble masonry with large stones as quoins. Roof of small old slates, grouted with stone copings and W bellcote. The church has a C19 square-headed doorway at the W end of the N wall; a stone to the R of the doorway is inscribed with the initials and date: (o) R 1798 R L. The S wall has a rebuilt rectangular window opening to the E (partially blocked with brick) and a small blocked window near the centre. The C15 E window is small, a single round trefoiled light with hollow chamfered jambs.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a late Medieval church, of exceptionally simple character. Although in a very poor condition, the church is a virtually unaltered late Medieval building (even retaining the original roof trusses) and in its isolation, is characteristic of many churches on the island.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 67; Glynne S R, Notes on the Older Churches in the Four Welsh Dioceses, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1900, p 88; Salter M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, p 25; RCAHMW Inventory, 1937, p 144.