CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Ceidio

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 5401
Grade: II
Date Listed: 12/05/1970
Date Amended: 16/03/2001
Co-ordinates: 241145,385476
Locality: Rhodogeidio
Community: Llannerch-y-Medd
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
Set back, within a raised circular churchyard, from the W side of a country road leading NW from the village of Llanerchymedd.

History
Mid C19 church, rebuilt in 1845 on old foundations and with the same materials, under the direction of the rector, Hugh Wynne Jones. Retains late C14 reset E window and N doorway.

Interior
The 4-bay roof has exposed collared trusses down to wall posts on plain corbels. The fittings are C19, simple bench pews and a raised pulpit with trefoil-headed facing panels. The chancel is raised by one step with a moulded rail on stick balusters with cusped brackets. There are C18 marble memorial tablets on N and S walls: one to John Griffith of Ceidio d.1753, and his wife Damaris d.1751; the other to Dorothy wife of the Rev. John Lewis d.1763, the Rev. John Lewis d.1783, and three of their children.

Exterior
Simple mid C19 rural church built to the plan of the C14 original with continuous nave and chancel. Built of rubble masonry with freestone dressings. Modern roof of large thin slates laid to diminishing courses, stone copings and dressed stone W bellcote. Entry to the church is through a C14 doorway at the W end of the N wall; a round-headed doorway with chamfered jambs. The windows in the N and S walls are C19 paired trefoil-headed lights in rectangular frames; a single window to L of the N doorway and 2 windows in the S wall. The late C14 E window is a single light with simple tracery in a 2-centred head with hoodmould. There is a kite shaped recess in the W gable apex.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a simple mid C19 church, unusual in being built closely to the form and detail of its Medieval predecessor, and thus retaining strong vernacular character.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 67; Glynne S R, Notes on the Older Churches in the Four Welsh Dioceses, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1900, p 88; Salter M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, p 25; RCAHMW Inventory, 1937, p 144.