CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Mary

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 5380
Grade: I
Date Listed: 12/05/1970
Date Amended: 27/11/2000
Co-ordinates: 229802,392836
Locality: Llanfairynghornwy
Community: Cylch y Garn
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
Reached by a trackway and set back, within a sub-rectangular churchyard, from the NW side of the road at the SE end of the village of Llanfairynghornwy.

History
The church is listed in the Norwich taxation of 1254, and its early Medieval origins are visible in the walls of the nave and the C11 or C12 chancel arch. The chancel was rebuilt and lengthened in the C15 and the S chapel and arcade added in the C16. The W tower was added in the C17 and the S porch is of uncertain date; the outer doorway to the S porch was blocked and window inserted in mid C19, and the main entry to the church was changed to go through the lower stage of the W tower. The church was restored in 1847 by architects Weightman and Hadfield of Sheffield and a further restoration, under the direction of the Reverend James Williams, took place in 1860; the chancel and S chapel had further work carried out in the 1930s.

Interior
Entry to the church is now through the lower stage of the W tower. Modern double doors lead into the W end of the nave; doorway to the vestry leads off to the R (S) and to the left is an octagonal stone font with circular bowl. The nave has a roof of exposed collared trusses linked by moulded timbers running along the length of the roof and decorated at spaced intersections by painted plaster shield bosses. Nave and chancel are divided by a plain round C11 or C12 chancel arch. The chancel has an exposed late C15 roof of closely spaced arch-braced trusses, alternate trusses with posts; the S chapel has an early C16 roof of 4-bays with exposed heavy arch-braced collared trusses. Chancel and S chapel are separated by an early C16 arcade of 3 bays with 4-centred arches of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. The columns are octagonal and the responds semi-octagonal with moulded capitals and bases. The E respond has early C16 letters below the springing course which reads: SCA MARIA ORA PRO ME DAVID A JACO. There is evidence of the position of a screen located to the N of the W column; shown by a cut groove which corresponds to markings on the N wall of the chancel; on the S side of the column is a crudely carved stone with human face. The chancel is raised by one step with modern moulded chancel rail on stick balusters. The sanctuary is raised by a further step and is paved with C18 gravestones: to William Roberts of Cayrey d.1714, and to Ellen wife of Thomas Rowlands d.1729; S chapel to J W Hughes d.1766, and to Wm Hughes d.1767. The E and S wall of the S chapel sanctuary with panelled reredos. There are a number of memorials along the N wall of the chancel: Marble memorial tablet with pyramidal head to Evan Thomas of Maes, bonesetter, d.1814. Erected by Thomas James Warren Bulkeley, Lord Viscount Bulkeley. Marble memorial tablet with moulded head and base over a slab depicting cherubs heads and set on plain corbels: to William Roberts of Cayrey esq. d.1715. Ornate marble memorial tablet with flanking scrollwork, obelisk and urn to the head and set on a shaped base with floral wreath: to Emma Lady Viscountess Bulkeley Williams, daughter and heiress of Thos. Rowlands of Nant, Carnarvonshire. Marble memorial tablet with fluted sides and top, set on a shaped base with shield motif and with urn in pyramidal head over: to Sir Hugh Williams Bart. d.1794. On the S wall of the S chapel is a modern slate memorial to James and Frances Williams, erected at the request of their descendant Sir Kyffin Williams. There are also C20 memorials on the E wall and on the floor of the S chapel. The E window is of 3-lights, by D. Evans of Shrewsbury, 1850. The central light depicts Christ seated at a table, the left hand light Christ with children and the right hand light bearing the cross: the text is in Welsh. The vestry was formerly the S porch and the S side of the C14 doorway has a pointed head set in a square frame formed by the outer unit of the jamb mouldings being carried up and returned across the head.

Exterior
Medieval parish church, with Perpendicular detail. W tower surmounted by short spire, nave with S porch and lower chancel and S chancel chapel. Built of rubble masonry, heavily mortared, with freestone dressings. Slate roof with stone copings and the bases of gable finials. The 2-stage W tower has offset angle buttresses to lower stage, and pointed arched W door with hoodmould. Tall upper stage recessed slightly, and with single, simple arched light housing bell immediately below crenellated parapet to W. Short pyramidal spire recessed behind parapet. Unusually long S porch to W of nave, with original doorway blocked and with window inserted when it was converted to a vestry in the mid C19. Simple flat-headed 2-light traceried C14 window to E of porch; 3-light window in centre of N wall of similar date, with simple round-headed lights. Three-light panel-traceried E window to chancel, in pointed arch with hood-mould; chancel N window is a C19 copy of the late C16 nave flat-headed window, with hoodmould, of 3 round-headed lights. The S chapel has a fine C16 E window of 3 foiled lights in a chamfered 4-centred arch with hood-mould. Flat-headed window of 3-foiled lights to its S wall.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a fine rural parish church, incorporating significant early Medieval fabric, including a C12 chancel arch, and with good late Medieval additions, including a fine C16 arcaded chapel. Of special interest, therefore, both for its early origins and for the quality of its later detail.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, pp 54, 62; Hughes H H, The Ancient Churches of Anglesey - Presidential Address, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1930, Vol. LXXXV Part II, pp 259-60; Salter M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, p 19; Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Historic Churches Projects, 1997, pp 69-70; RCAHMW Inventory, 1937, p 74.