CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Peter

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 5374
Grade: II*
Date Listed: 12/05/1970
Date Amended: 27/08/2002
Co-ordinates: 250939,379855
Locality: Llanbedrgoch
Community: Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
In an isolated rural location, set back from the W side of a country road which leads N of the A5025 to the village of Llanbedrgoch.

History
The continuous chancel and nave are probably C15 and represent the extent of the original church; transept probably added in C17 to form a cruciform plan. Recorded as having been restored in 1840, the church was further restored in 1885. The windows are characteristic of other such churches on the island, whose restoration was funded by Lord Stanley of Alderley, who converted to the Muslim faith following his wedding.

Interior
The church has an exposed roof of braced and collared trusses, probably work of the mid C19. The fittings are predominantly mid C19, but the reading desk is made up of 2 later C15 bench ends with rough tracery and on one is a carved mermaid holding a comb and mirror, removed from the Church of St Elian at Llaneilian. The chancel is raised by one step and the sanctuary a further step, the sanctuary rail is moulded on shaped balusters. To the L of the window is a pointed arched recess with moulded surround in which there is a mosaic of St Peter; a similar moulded surround is on the S wall of the chancel. The octagonal font is on a stepped plinth in the N transept, to the E of the font are C18 gravestones to Griffith and Edward, sons of Richard Prichard d1759, and to Richard, his son d1762; also to William Griffith, tenant of Glyn, d1746 and his wife, Jane Roberts, d1762; and to Robert Roberts, tenant of Glyn, and his wife Catherine d1714. On the N wall of the nave are earlier memorials, one in stone to William Lloyd, MA Rector of Llaneilian, d1661 and below it a bronze to Anne Lloyd, d1763, wife of Robert Morgan STP Bishop of Bangor, d1675; this has a shield of arms, a lion rampant reguardant (Gwaethfoed for Morgan) impaling Llywarch ap Bran for Lloyd of Henblas. The church is also said, by RCAHM, to contain a memorial to Robert Warmingham d1723. The vestry is at the W end of the church and to the R of the N doorway is a rough stone piscina.

Exterior
Small rural church in cruciform plan with transepts offset to E end. Built of rubble masonry with large stones as quoins at corners of transepts; some openings have sandstone dressings. Slate roof with tiled ridge, stone copings and gable cross finials with splayed arms. Single bellcote of dressed stone at W gable surmounted by a cross finial. The C15 doorway is at the W end of the N wall of the church, a pointed arch in a rectangular frame with casement moulded jambs; geometric patterns in the spandrels. The doorway has a moulded label flanked by carved human faces, that to L wears a bishop's mitre. To the L of the door is a mid C19 window which has paired round-headed lights in a rectangular frame; similar to the C17 N window in the N transept. There is an opposing doorway in the S wall, probably also C15, with chamfered jambs and now partially infilled with a window in the upper part. The E chancel window is a mid C19 pointed arched window of 3 trefoil lights with cusped tracery and hoodmould. The E window of the N transept is also mid C19, a paired rectangular light which emulates the similar C17 windows in the E and S walls of the S transept.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a good rural church retaining substantial medieval fabric.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 59; Glynne S R, Notes on the Older Churches in the Four Welsh Dioceses, Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1900, p 91; Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Historic Churches Project, 1997, pp 31-2; Powell H, Carved Corbels, Brackets and Label Stops in Anglesey Churches, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1944, p 20; Slater M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, 1992, p 15; RCAHM Inventory, 1937, p 38.