CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Tyfrydog

Street Name and Number: Lon Leidr,
Listed Building Reference: 5360
Grade: II*
Date Listed: 12/05/1970
Date Amended: 21/02/2001
Co-ordinates: 244354,385355
Locality: Llandyfrydog
Community: Rhosybol
Council: Isle of Anglesey
National Park: No

Location
Located within a circular churchyard to W side of Lon Leidr in the centre of the small hamlet of Llandyfrydog.

History
A church is mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, but the earliest datable fabric here is the nave, built c1400; the chancel appears to have been rebuilt in the late C15 or early C16 and the N vestry and SW porch are mid-late C19, probably built when the church was restored in 1862 by Kennedy and Rogers.

Interior
The interior could not be inspected at the time of the survey. Said, by referenced sources, to retain the original chancel arch, built c1400, a pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders. The nave and chancel have exposed roof timbers of arched braced collared trusses with wall posts down to shaped corbels and the nave is furnished with box pews.

Exterior
Small rural church in Decorated style comprising 2-bay nave with W bellcote and SW gabled porch; single bay chancel with lean-to N vestry. Built of roughly coursed small squared masonry with larger angle stones, and with limestone dressings. Roof of thin slates with stone copings and shaped kneelers; the nave has a weathered cross base at the E gable, the chancel has a broken stone cross finial and the porch has a fleur-de-lys finial. The nave has angled buttresses at the E end, similar buttresses flank the entrance in the SW porch. The doorway is in a chamfered pointed arch of 2 orders, the base of the jambs with bar stops and stepped run out chamfers. To the R (E) of the porch is an original window of c1400, 2 trefoil headed lights in a rectangular frame; a similarly detailed C19 window to R is set at a higher level to light the pulpit. There is another similar window set in the W gable apex. The N wall of the nave has a paired W window of cinquefoil headed lights in a rectangular frame; a single trefoil headed light in rectangular frame to E. The chancel has rectangular windows of uncertain date with crude moulded frames stopping on weathered blocks. The E window is late C15, and has 3 pointed lights in a 4-centred head with moulded jambs and a moulded label with beast stops; the cusping has been removed from the exterior. The church is set within a circular churchyard which includes a series of slate chest tombs, many of which are in railed enclosures.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a good Medieval rural church which retains much of its Medieval fabric and a rich vernacular character.

References
Clarke M L, Anglesey Churches in the Nineteenth Century, Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society, 1961, p 60; Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Welsh Historic Churches Project, 1997; Salter M, The Old Parish Churches of North Wales, p 16; RCAHMW Inventory, 1937, p 51.