CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Point of Ayr Lighthouse

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 520
Grade: II
Date Listed: 16/11/1973
Date Amended: 30/04/2001
Co-ordinates: 312097,385269
Locality: Point of Ayr
Community: Llanasa
Council: Flintshire
National Park: No

Situated at the water's edge approximately 0.75km west long the foreshore from Point of Ayr. Reached NE off A548, through Talacre and by foot over a short railed causeway.

Built in 1776, to the design of Joseph Turner of Hawarden, as a landfall light marking the entrance to the Dee Estuary, and constructed following the loss of 2 Dublin packets. The structure was modelled on a pre-existing Liverpool Docks Board light at Hoylake. Trinity House assumed responsibility for the light in 1819 and rebuilt the upper section with a new lantern light. The lighthouse was superseded in 1844 by a piled structure built close by, which was itself replaced by a lightship in 1883, but this has not survived.


A whitewashed rendered brick three-storeyed tower tapering upwards from a black plinth; now slightly leaning. The structure is topped by a red-domed lantern with wrought-iron plates and vertical glazing bars, with a railed walkway projecting on moulded corbels. A round-headed doorway is above basement level. Each storey has wide segmental-headed windows. The optic has been removed.

Reason for Listing
Listed as a well-preserved early lighthouse which retains what may be the earliest lantern in Wales.

Hague, Douglas, Lighthouses of Wales, 1994, pp 37-41; Hague, Douglas and Rosemary Christie, Lighthouses: Their Architecture History and Archaeology, 1975, pp 247-9. Hubbard, Edward, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, 1986, pp 444-5.