CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Lychgate at the Church of St Beuno

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 4285
Grade: II
Date Listed: 19/10/1971
Date Amended: 30/03/1999
Co-ordinates: 254154,340299
Locality: Penmorfa
Community: Dolbenmaen
Council: Gwynedd
National Park: No

Location
The church stands at the end of a minor road running WSW from the W end of Penmorfa village. The lychgate is at the E end of the churchyard, standing high above the sunken road.

History
Built, according to an inscription on the W gable, in 1698 for Mrs A M E Jones of Parciau. Some C19 restoration.

Interior


Exterior
The gate is set in the churchyard wall. It is built of rubble stonework with a slate roof between coped gables on kneelers. Five external rounded steps raise the path to the through passage, closed externally by boarded timber gates with strap hinges set in an outer rebate, the gateposts rising to a high cross transom and inserted plank arch. Within the passage, timber seats each side. On the SW gable end, a slate carrying an heraldic displayed eagle on a lozenge, and the inscription MRS A M E JONES / O'R PARKIAU A RODD / YR ADEILAD HON / 1698 / PAM OEDD / H JONES RECTOR / W WYNE ESQ R IOHN WADENIED.

Reason for Listing
Included as a good example of a rural lychgate, for which the date of construction is known.

References
RCAHM Inventory of Historic Monuments in Carnarvonshire, Vol II: Central, 1960, Item 887, p67.