CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Eurgain and St Peter

Street Name and Number: Church Road,
Listed Building Reference: 321
Grade: I
Date Listed: 11/06/1962
Date Amended: 15/08/2001
Co-ordinates: 324637,368486
Locality: Northop
Community: Northop
Council: Flintshire
National Park: No

Location
Prominently sited in the village at the corner of Church Road and Northop Road.

History
The original dedication of the church was to St Eurgain (mid C6) who was a niece of St Asaph. The church was documented in 1254 and 1291 when it was on the site of the current N aisle. It was extended E in the C14 when a crypt was made beneath the new sanctuary. An arch at the E end of the arcade and 2 corbels in the nave (all relocated) are also C14. The church was substantially enlarged in the C15-16 under the patronage of the Stanley family. A new nave and chancel were added to the S, and a simple arcade inserted. The fine Perpendicular tower is said to bear a date of 1571 on a gargoyle, although it was probably started in the early C16. The roof of the nave and chancel are late Perpendicular. In 1839-40, the church was remodelled by Thomas Jones, architect of Chester and County Surveyor of Flintshire, in Perpendicular style. This included shortening the church and reducing the arcade from 7 to 5 bays, and rebuilding the outer walls of the nave, chancel and aisle. A plaster vaulted ceiling was inserted into the tower, and 4 recumbent effigies were reset into the N wall. In 1850, the E wall was rebuilt by William Butterfield in memory of Rev Henry Jones, including a new Geometrical window. John Douglas, architect of Chester, undertook a further restoration in 1876-7; a new set of furnishings including organ case and altar were added, and the box pews and W gallery removed. Painting and enrichment of the reredos and altar, respectively, were undertaken by Hardman & Co in the 1870s. The church contains C19-early C20 stained glass by a range of makers: Clutterbuck; O'Connor; Ballantine & Son; Saunders & Co.; James Powell & Sons; Hardman. The W doorway was renewed in 1965.

Interior
Five-bay arcade to N aisle, octagonal piers with ringed capitals and bases supporting pointed double-chamfered arches. Fine Perpendicular tower arch with 3 orders of continuous roll mouldings, semi-octagonal capitals and Tudor head. The intrados and jambs are panelled with cusped lancets. Shallow camber-beamed and panelled roof to nave and chancel, the beams moulded and dentilled on long wall shafts. Plain corbels except 2 to the N bearing heads and beasts which are C14. Vaulted plaster ceiling to tower, the ribs supported on corbels bearing figures including angels, and with a central circular opening for bell ropes. Narrow pointed S doorway to stairs; wood-panelled half-glazed entrance lobby to W; flagstone floor. The late C19 fittings and furnishings are mainly in Perpendicular style. Wooden pews with moulded decorated bench ends; to R, octagonal wood panelled pulpit on a stone base; decorated reading lectern to L. Polished red granite circular font with round-arched motifs, on clustered circular shafts. Steps up to chancel which has an encaustic tile floor; choir stalls with circular motifs to fronts. Further steps up to sanctuary. Open metalwork altar rail with scrolled decoration. Wooden altar with openwork, including cusped lancets. Stone reredos of 3 stepped panels bearing Christ and angels to centre. These are flanked by wooden panels with blind lancets. Paintings to walls with heraldic shields and biblical scenes. In the R arch of the arcade is a decorative pipe organ in a wooden case with pierced Perpendicular-style motifs. Lower arch to R with ornate cusped head containing a screen to the vestry. In the N wall of the aisle are 4 round-arched recesses containing the recumbent effigies (that to the R is in the vestry): To L, a knight, late C14 and possibly unfinished; the following 2 are of Ithel ap Bleddyn, knight, and Leucu (d. 1382) possibly his wife. She has her head on a cushion framed in an arch, with a lion at her feet. The 4th effigy is of another knight, c1400. Behind one of the knights are 2 fragments of sepulchral slabs bearing part of a circular cross head and a sword hilt, one commemorating the wife of Bleddyn, the other David. There are many C18-20 memorial tablets in the church, which include, to the N wall above the effigies, a tablet with urn to John Lloyd (d. 1815), a tall marble tablet with pediment and egg & dart moulding to members of the Lewis family, C19-20. To its R is a brass tablet in memory of Edward Williams of Soughton (d.1741), and further R, a square moulded tablet with frieze of quatrefoils to Rev John Conway of Lower Soughton (d. 1827). Towards the W end of the S wall are 2 marble tablets, one with swags and a cross and dove, to Howell Lloyd (d. 1785), the other, with arched head to Mary Frances Ford, mid-C19. Set into the chancel floor is a stone tablet to Rev John Wynne, Bishop of St Asaph, and Bath & Wells, of Soughton Hall (d. 1743). In the tower is a marble tablet in a square stone surround, a World War I memorial. The stained glass includes: The Crucifixion with 4 apostles to E window, by O'Connor, 1850. To S chancel, Resurrection, also by O'Connor, in memory of Edward Lewis of Bryn Edwin (d. 1833). To S nave, depictions of St John and St Paul, 1870s. Biblical scenes and foliage to large W window (1892) by James Powell & Sons.

Exterior
Church in Perpendicular style with W Tower, nave and chancel in one, N aisle. The Perpendicular tower is constructed of fine coursed sandstone ashlar. It is 5-stage with full-height diagonal buttresses with offsets, a plinth and string courses between stages, all with moulded copings. Four bands with blind quatrefoil or cinquefoil decoration, located beneath the string courses of the 1st and 2nd stages, to a continuous hoodmould at the 4th stage and beneath the battlemented parapets. Large ornamented pinnacles to angles of parapets and to centre of each side. The angles also bear large gargoyles. The W side of the tower incorporates the main entrance to the church. Renewed Tudor-arched doorway in a square surround under a prominent hoodmould with flower bosses; each spandrel bears an armorial shield. Double ribbed and studded doors. The 1st floor string course is broken by the large panel-traceried W window, 4-light under a shallow pointed head with continuous hoodmould. To the 3rd stage, above the string course is a square panel in a heavy surround containing a round cinquefoiled light. Blind 2-light window to 4th stage in heavy surround with hollow moulding and shallow pointed-arched head. Low-set transom, the blind lights with cusped heads. To the 5th stage are a pair of louvres to the centre with continuous hoodmould. These are 2-light and in a similar style to the blind window below. Above is a large gargoyle. The S side of the tower has a tiny stairlight with round head under a square hoodmould to the L of the 1st stage. Similar stairlights aligned above to 2nd, 3rd and 4th stages, all now blocked. Breaking the 1st stage string course is a tall narrow statue niche with ogee head. Its square-headed surround is a continuation of the string course. To the 3rd stage, above the string course, is a 2-light panel in a heavy surround, the lights round and cinquefoiled. Above the panel is a large clock. The 4th stage has a blind window as W side, whilst the 5th stage has a pair of louvres, offset slightly to the R. The N side has no openings to the 1st and 2nd stage, whilst the 3rd, 4th and 5th stages are as S side. The E side has similar openings to the 3rd, 4th and 5th stages, but the louvres are centrally-placed. The nave, chancel and N aisle were remodelled in the C19 and are of snecked pecked sandstone. The aisle is gabled, lower and narrower than the nave but of equal length. The nave and chancel together comprise 6 bays, articulated by stepped full-height buttresses supporting diagonally set shafts and ornate pinnacles. High battlemented parapets on a moulded string course which continue around the church. Each bay contains a traceried 2-light window with Tudor-arched head and hoodmould. Two-gable E end with diagonal buttresses to angles. Five-light Geometrical E window of foiled lancets and surmounting cinquefoil; sill band which steps up towards angles. Buttress between gables supporting an octagonal chimney. The E end of the N aisle has a 3-light traceried window in a similar style to the S side of nave and chancel. The N aisle is 5-bay with windows and buttresses as S side. The W end of the aisle contains a Tudor-arched doorway under a square hoodmould, with a 2-light traceried window above.

Reason for Listing
Listed grade I as an exceptionally fine Perpendicular church. It has notable features, such as the tower, tower arch and arcade, whilst the external C19 remodelling leads to a coherent architectural entity in this style. The tower, with those at Wrexham, Gresford and Mold, form the most significant group of late medieval church towers in Wales.

References
Edwards, Thomas, History of Northop, in 'Cambrian Quarterly Magazine', 1832, Vol 4, pp 195-8; Hubbard, Edward, Buildings of Wales series: Clwyd, 1986, pp 406-7; Pritchard, T W, Guide to the Parish Church of St Eurgain and St Peter, 1976; Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welsh Historic Churches Project: The Historic Churches of Flintshire & Wrexham County Borough, 1999.