CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

The Old Rectory

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 26155
Grade: II
Date Listed: 31/01/2002
Date Amended: 31/01/2002
Co-ordinates: 320734,371694
Locality: Halkyn
Community: Halkyn
Council: Flintshire
National Park: No

Location
Approximately 0.6km NW of the parish church, reached by private drive on the N side of the B5123.

History
Dated 1885, and by E A Ould of Grayson & Ould, architects of Liverpool, for the Duke of Westminster, whose arms are on the building.

Interior
The entrance hall has a straight stair with quarter turn at the base, with turned balusters and newels. The main rooms have panelled doors with vertical ribs, and windows with panelled reveals. The original study on the L side retains a simple wooden chimneypiece. On the R side of the entrance the drawing room at the front retains stained glass in the upper lights of its N window. The dining room immediately behind it retains similar stained glass, and is the most richly treated room. Its wooden chimney piece has fluted pilasters and an overmantel with pilasters and diamond panels. The ceiling has moulded ribs forming square panels. At the service end original boarded doors are retained. The kitchen retains its original service bells, while the pantry retains its original slate slab.

Exterior
A two-and-a-half-storey house in the style of Norman Shaw. The lower storey is of rock-faced stone with red sandstone dressings and mullioned and transomed windows. The upper storey and attic are tile-hung, incorporating bands of fish-scale tiles, and have wood-framed windows. Windows retain mainly leaded upper lights. The roof is red tiles with brick stacks, which have diagonal ribs to the main elevations. The E-facing front comprises a narrow central entrance bay flanked by advanced and higher gabled wings, of which the S is longer and houses the service rooms at the rear. A gabled entrance porch is offset to the L side of the entrance bay, and has coped gable and angle buttresses to the side walls. A segmental-headed lintel is dated 1885 in low relief below a blank tablet. Inside the porch is a ribbed door with glazed panel to its L. On the R side of the porch is a 3-light window, and in the upper storey is a 3-light casement beneath the eaves. The S wing has a 4-light window in the lower storey lighting the original study, with a smaller 3-light wood-mullioned and transomed window in the upper storey and 2-light wood-mullioned attic window. The gable end of the N wing is dominated by an external stack, in the lower storey of which is a tablet with the Westminster family arms in a diamond panel. The stack is flanked in the lower storey by replaced windows in original stone surrounds, with a similar window upper R in a wooden frame. The N wing houses the principal rooms and in the 2-window side wall these overlook the Dee Estuary. In the lower storey are 3-light windows, with 3-light casements incorporating inset Palladian windows in the upper storey and 3-light gabled dormer windows. The side wall of the S wing, which is of rock-faced stone in both storeys, is dominated by a large external stack R of centre, which is flanked by a small replaced window in original dressed surround to its R, and a 2-light mullioned window set into the stack on the L side. Further L is a former doorway to the service rooms now converted to a 2-light casement but retaining its mullioned overlight. Above this are 2 windows in dressed stone surrounds and a 2-light mullioned window to a gabled dormer. A large replaced casement window in an original segmental-headed opening lights the kitchen at the L end, above which is a 2-light mullioned window. A single-storey scullery with hipped roof and brick end stack is attached to the rear of the S wing, and has two 2-light casements and a narrower window between. The rear of the house is enclosed by a yard with stone wall, set back from the angle of the S wing and attached to the scullery. The shorter N wing of the house has an external stack to the rear gable. The entrance bay on its R side has a 4-light wood-mullioned and transomed stair window under a segmental head, and a 2-light casement to a gabled roof dormer. Below it is a single-storey lean-to that continues around to the rear of the S wing and has 2-light casements to the original stores and larder. The rear of the S wing, facing the yard, has 2 single-light and a 2-light casement below stone lintels in the upper storey. The scullery has 2 boarded doors to the yard and a 2-light window. The yard wall incorporates a coal shed.

Reason for Listing
Listed as an expressive and well-preserved house in the domestic Gothic style showing the influence of Norman Shaw, notable for its characteristic use of both stone and tile hanging and for its asymmetrical but ordered plan.

References
Building News, 24 April 1885; Hubbard, Edward, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, 1986, pp77, 360.