CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

OLD COURT FARMHOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED CROSS WING KNOWN AS LLANFIHANGEL COURT), B 4245 ( SIDE), LLA

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 2037
Grade: II
Date Listed: 19/08/1955
Date Amended: 22/02/1995
Co-ordinates: 345103,187809
Locality:
Community: Rogiet
Council: Monmouthshire
National Park: No

Location


History


Interior


Exterior
2037 Situated to west of St Michael and All Angels church with separate associated farmyard and farm buildings extending to north. History: A mostly C16 house but S porch and wall may be surviving features of an earlier building traditionally thought to be the fortified house of the Martels. Cross wing, a separate dwelling, added C19 to W and to E a single storey former brewhouse. Exterior: 2-storey farmhouse built of rubble, part whitewashed, with some ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof with brick end stacks. Primary house probably of former 3 room cross passage plan with former kitchen to right of passage, to left dairy and pantry divided by studded partition now removed and hall end left. Probably earlier two storey porch to south elevation. Main N elevation has 2 renewed casement windows and in centre one of 2 arched lights with moulded mullion under rectangular hood mould and another of 2 rectangular lights with diamond mullion; battered plinth. S elevation has two storeyed gabled porch with deeply splayed slit window; double light window to former kitchen with moulded mullion with hood mould and iron ferramenta; other doors and windows remodelled; battered plinth. 3-window front to cross wing with cross-frame casements and swept-roofed trellised porch. Interior: Porch contains stone spiral stair under modern wood treads; a further blocked slit light is visible; access from the house is through a four centred chamfered stone arch; fireplace to former kitchen has repositioned moulded stone jambs. S wall shows in window splay as c 1m thick. Listed for the special interest of its surviving C16 and earlier fabric incorporated into farmhouse. Part of complex comprising the farmhouse, farmyards and farm ranges of Old Court Farm and Green Farm and the church and churchyard of St Michael and All Angels. References: B Stopgate, The Manor Houses of Llanfihangel Rogiet, Gwent Local History No 59 Sir J Bradney, History of Monmouthshire, Vol IV, 1932.

Reason for Listing


References