CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

Street Name and Number: B4245,
Listed Building Reference: 2035
Grade: II*
Date Listed: 19/08/1955
Date Amended: 22/02/1995
Co-ordinates: 345119,187861
Locality: Llanfihangel Rogiet
Community: Rogiet
Council: Monmouthshire
National Park: No

Location
Situated between Green Farm and Old Court Farm south of Caldicot Road.

History
Medieval church mainly C13 though mentioned in Domesday, chancel extended C14, heavily restored 1904, now closed for worship and in deteriorating condition.

Interior
Restored, reroofed, refurnished c 1894-1904. C14 north arcade comprises single octabonal pier with moulded capitals, 2 arches of 2 heavily chamfered orders and 2 attached piers; E extension possibly incorporating former stairs to rood loft now blocked. Pointed chancel arch with no piers but defaced figure capitals/corbels springing from interior chamfer. On either side squints, one blocked, with ogee arched mouldings surmounted by leafy crockets. To N vestigial stairs to former rood loft under square headed doorway. N chancel wall of varying thickness. Simple pointed W tower arch; W window deeply splayed. Vestigial niche by pointed arched S door. Furnishings: 2 important medieval effigies are retained: the man''s of John Martel now in chancel is in shallow relief, the figure dressed in chain mail with shield and sword, legs crossed, head on cushion, no original tomb chest; the woman''s of Anne Martel 1270 in N aisle is also in shallow relief, the figure with hands in prayer and feet resting on a lapdog with Norman French surrounding inscription; tomb chest of panels with moulded shields partly survives. C12 font is square bowled tapering to a round base with no lead. Slab floor incorporating some ledgers to nave and chancel.

Exterior
West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, longer lower chancel. Of coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, N aisle wall in lias, and plain tile roof. S gabled porch has coped verges with moulded apex finial and kneelers; pointed arched simply chamfered outer doorway; limewashed interior, stone benches, flag floor and renewed heavily moulded wallplate and roof timbers; main S door has almost round arch, probably Norman, with single chamfer. Nave has raised coped verge with apex cross: line of former higher pitched roof on N face of tower; square headed two light post medieval S window with chamfered mullion and surround has leaded diamond quarries incorporating one iron framed casement. Chancel has similar coping to nave with apex cross and kneelers; S window of two trefoil headed lights and E of 3 similar lights with relieving arch above; battered plinth to E wall. N aisle rebuilt 1904; E window has 2 trefoil headed lights probably reset. W tower has embattled parapet with corner crocketed pinnacles now incomplete, shallow corbel table, string course, diagonal buttresses with offsets; double lights with louvres to ringing chamber, small rectangular lights to N and S and chamfered trefoil headed lancet W window; moulded W doorway of 2 orders under deep voussoir stones.

Reason for Listing
Grade II* for its important medieval origins and as the central building of a complex comprising churchyard and farmhouses, farmyards and farm buildings of Old Court Farm and Green Farm.

References
Sir J Bradney, History of Monmouthshire, Vol IV, 1932.