CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

New Hall Gate to Chirk Park: the N Lodge

Street Name and Number: Llwyn-y-cil Road,
Listed Building Reference: 20227
Grade: II
Date Listed: 04/01/1966
Date Amended: 29/07/1998
Co-ordinates: 327509,338770
Locality: Chirk Castle
Community: Chirk
Council: Wrexham
National Park: No

Location
One of a pair of lodges that flank the present service access to Chirk Castle park, opposite New Hall Road.

History
The lodges were designed and built by Joseph Turner in 1770-1771, and were initially linked by the great iron gate screen after it was moved from its original position across the north forecourt of the castle. The screen was moved away to its present position at Llwyn-y-cil in 1888.

Interior


Exterior
Built of ashlar sandstone with slate roofs, the end pediments roofed with lead. The pavilions are set within a semicircular re-entrant in the stone estate wall, approximately 10.75m apart, each a single cell presenting a Greek Doric portico front and back, the inner sides articulated with two blind arches under a continuation of the entablature. The attenuated unfluted columns carry a well proportioned architrave and triglyph frieze, surmounted by a pediment with plain mutule blocks. Within the arch, a round headed opening, its arris moulded, with a 12-pane sash window to the front, and a 5-fielded panel access door to the rear. The outer face is of rubble, and has a chimney for the internal fireplace.

Reason for Listing
Included as one of a pair of late Georgian entrance lodges, and a good example of its type and particularly for it being a remarkably early example of the use of the new Grecian style.

References
Hubbard E, Clwyd, Buildings of Wales series, 1986, p128; Mowl T & Earnshaw B, Trumpet at a Distant Gate, p112, fig 98; The National Trust Guide, 1997, p38; CADW, Register of Historic Gardens in Wales, pp39-42.