CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

RAILWAY STATION (MAIN BUILDING & FOOTBRIDGE) ABBEY ROAD

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 1083
Grade: II
Date Listed: 22/12/1989
Date Amended: 22/12/1989
Co-ordinates: 321432,342205
Locality:
Community: Llangollen
Council: Denbighshire
National Park: No

Location


History


Interior


Exterior
1083 To NW of Llangollen Bridge; below the road. The Vale of Llangollen Railway Act, sponsored by the G W R, was passed in 1859 following 12 years of various proposals. L N W R opposed the scheme as they had control of the Llangollen Canal. Construction began in September 1859 and opened in December 1861, linking the town with Ruabon and the railway network. The original station was E of the bridge, behind Dee Cottage. When the line was extended to Corwen in 1865 (and subsquently to Bala and Dolgellau) the present station was built. The railway was originally built as single track in 1898 the line from Ruabon Junction to Llangollen was doubled, as far as the Goods Yard. At the same time various alterations were made to the station including addition of excursion platforms, a footbridge and new signal boxes. The main 1860's work was constructed by Thomas Brassey under the direction of Henry Robertson, railway engineer of Pale. The line was closed on 1 April 1968 and reopened in 1984 by Llangollen Railway Society. Small Tudorbethan station building on the 'up' platform; 2 storey to left, single storey to right with a cross range to middle onto which abutts the footbridge. Coursed freestone with plinth and cornice; steep slate roof with some fishscale tiling; octagonal stone chimney stacks - those to the single storey range are extremely tall. 1 window to 1st floor at left end. 2 double doored entrances to centre flanked by cross frame windows; at extreme left is an 4 panel door with cambered voussoir head; immediately to right of the main doorway are 2 further panelled doors and windows with transoms. There is an overall pitched canopy with valencing carried on panelled steel piers; over the top of this projects the footbridge with similar roof and valencing - plate steel (by Earl of Dudley) and wood construction. The staircase to the 'down' platform is cantilevered out over the river. The station could also be entered from the rear gable end of the cross range overlooking Abbey Road; crenellated stack and boarded and gated entrance with half glazed doors. Facing up the ramped drive is a steep gabled end of main range and 2 doorways below. The 'up' platform has GWR iron bench and the 'down' platform has railings all along above the embankment wall; also some cast iron fluted lamp standards with foliage capitals. Group value. References: C R Potts, "An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations", (1985) p 102-105. Copies of 1859 and 1865 Acts of Parliament in Clwyd Archive Office.

Reason for Listing


References