CADW Listed Building Database Record For more information about records from Cadw:

philip.hobson@wales.gsi.gov.uk
www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
Plas Carew
Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed
Parc Nantgarw
Cardiff
CF15 7QQ

In compliance with the Welsh Assembly's Government's Welsh Language Scheme, the full textual information contained in the listed building descriptions are currently only available on the portal in English. However, it may be viewed in a version with Welsh labels and headings.

Church of St Jerome

Street Name and Number: ,
Listed Building Reference: 102
Grade: II
Date Listed: 23/06/1967
Date Amended: 01/04/1998
Co-ordinates: 296677,344607
Locality: Llangwm
Community: Llangwm
Council: Conwy
National Park: No

Location
The church stands in a sub-rectangular churchyard at the centre of Llangwm village.

History
A church is recorded in Llangwm in 1210. The present structure, in particular the W wall, is probably of medieval fabric, but was substantially altered and rewindowed in 1747, with a further restoration in 1873-4.

Interior
The interior has been stripped of its furnishings and fittings and the monuments taken down from the walls. The inner door is round-arched containing a counter-battened and studded pair of doors of C19 date. A stone set above reads 1715 / HK GI WARDENS. Nave roof of is of 6 bays; C18 shouldered and tensioned king post trusses set on wall corbels, carrying re-used purlins. Walls plastered. Wide shallow C18 voussoired chancel arch on plastered imposts. Small square window on the N wall beside the chancel arch. The chancel has a mid C18 shallow segmental vaulted ceiling, panelled in 4 bays, rising from a dentilled cornice. Red and yellow quarry floor with steps to the high altar position. Glass: E window: figured, by Ward & Hughes of London, 1882, a memorial to John Lloyd of Hendre Arddwyfaen. Also an unfixed square panel of later C19 work, with monogram AH. Monuments: All have been taken down from the N nave and chancel walls. (a) Limestone, an eared and gabled sarcophagus with trail decorated side pilasters, to Charles Roberts, d 1828, and 2 other members of the family; (b) Small gabled white marble tablet to John Wynne, d 1826; (c) White marble tablet to Emma Lloyd of Maesmor and Trefnant (Monts), d 1864; (d) Gabled marble tablet on slate, by Haswell, Chester, to John Wynne of Garthmeilo, d 1888. Also a marble relief of 3 putti. In the church porch two 2m high slate slabs with continuous inscription recording the benefactions received by the parish from Queen Anne's Bounty, 1734, and donations by local gentry, including the expenditure set against income of 200, which included the rebuilding of the church in 1747, costing 231.9s.9d (231.48), plus the names of the benefactors.

Exterior
Built of rubble sandstone and shale, with Cefn type ashlar dressings to openings, and an old thick-slate roof. Single cell containing the nave and chancel, with an added N porch. The W wall is battered below a high-set string course, above which the gable is largely rebuilt, terminating in a single-opening gabled bellcote. Below the string, the early wall has a shallow asymmetrical recess, perhaps for a missing tablet. The porch has an open round-headed arch turned with rubble voussoirs, and a C14 heraldic stone set in the gable. Two pointed headed windows on the N side, with a small window between, and two round-headed windows on the S of the nave, with a further one on the chancel. The E window has triple lights with a continuous hood.

Reason for Listing
Included as a building with substantial surviving medieval fabric, set in a dominant position in the village.

References
Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Draft report of Jan 1997; E Hubbard, Clwyd, Buildings of Wales series, 1986, p224; Thomas, Rev Archdeacon, History of the Diocese of St Asaph, 1909, ii, p163.